UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

PKK suspends militant withdrawal

  |
 
Published: Sept. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

ANKARA, Turkey, Sept. 5 (UPI) -- The Kurdistan Workers' Party said it was suspending its withdrawal from Turkish territory because the government wasn't meetings its settlement obligations.

Abdullah Ocalan, jailed leader of the militant organization Kurdistan Workers' Party, in March called on his fighters to leave Turkey as part of a peace initiative brokered with the government. The group is known by its Kurdish initials PKK.

The PKK didn't disarm as part of the deal. Last month, Turkish leaders said militants weren't serious about peace.

Cemil Bayik, leader of the military arm of the PKK, said Thursday fighters were suspending their withdrawal because the Turkish government wasn't living up to its end of the bargain.

"Turkish government has not acted until now. This shows that they are not after a solution," he was quoted as saying Thursday by Turkish newspaper Today's Zaman. "We will defend ourselves. We're stopping the withdrawal."

Some Kurdish fighters had crossed the border into northern Iraq. Bayik said they'd be recalled if the Turkish military started attacking Kurdish militants.

Pro-Kurdish lawmakers said they were frustrated by the lack of security guarantees from the government.

Thousands of people on both sides were killed during the 30-year conflict between the PKK and the Turkish government. The PKK is pressing for more Kurdish rights.

Topics: Abdullah Ocalan, Today's Zaman
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...