UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Rights groups want probe of attack on Iranian dissidents

  |
 
Published: Sept. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM

PARIS, Sept. 4 (UPI) -- A coalition of human rights groups called on the U.N. mission in Iraq to examine the circumstances surrounding a military attack on an Iranian dissident camp.

The Iraqi government agreed to help facilitate the relocation of Iranian dissidents from their Camp Ashraf enclave in Diyala province. More than 3,000 Iranian dissidents were allowed to move to Iraq in the 1980s and some have since been relocated to European countries. About 100 stayed behind in Camp Ashraf.

Dozens of dissidents were killed in an attack on the camp last week. The U.N. Assistance Mission in Iraq visited the camp Sunday to investigate the incident.

The International Federation for Human Rights, known by its French initials FIDH, and the League of Defense of Human Rights in Iraq called on UNAMI to release its findings as soon as possible.

"FIDH firmly hopes that no government orders were issued to attack the camp, and that the government's own investigation into what can only be labeled as 'extra-judicial killings' will lead to the arrest and fair trial of the perpetrators," FIDH President Karim Lahidji said in a statement Tuesday.

The United Nations said most of the dead at the exile camp suffered gunshot wounds and several bodies were discovered with their hands tied behind their backs. UNAMI said 52 bodies were found and seven people are still missing.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...