UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Attack on Iranian dissident camp condemned

  |
 
Published: Sept. 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

LONDON, Sept. 3 (UPI) -- The British government called on the Iraqi government to cooperate with investigators probing a weekend attack on Iranian dissidents.

Dozens of members of an Iranian dissident community housed in Camp Ashraf, an enclave in Diyala province, were killed or injured during a weekend attack by the Iraqi military. The camp houses members of an Iranian pro-democracy movement.

British Minister for the Middle East and Africa Alistair Burt said he was "appalled" by the violence at the enclave. He said the Iraqi government must do "everything necessary to ensure the safety of the residents and care for survivors and must conduct an urgent and transparent investigation into what took place."

Catherine Ashton, the European Union's foreign policy chief, said in a statement Monday she was seeking clarity on the details of the "brutal incident."

Baghdad and the United Nations signed a memorandum of understanding in 2011 outlining the voluntary relocation of members of the dissident community from their Camp Ashraf enclave in Diyala province to a former U.S. military base in Baghdad.

The United States last year removed the group, the People's Mujahedin of Iran, from its list of foreign terrorist organizations.

Topics: Catherine Ashton
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...