UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Security key to Afghan vote, U.N. says

  |
 
Published: Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan, Aug. 28 (UPI) -- Security is one of the areas the Afghan government should focus on as it continues preparations for 2014 elections, the U.N. assistance mission said.

U.N. special envoy for Afghanistan Jan Kubis met in Kabul with Chairman of the Independent Election Commission of Afghanistan Ahmad Yusuf Nuristani to discuss preparations under way for next year's presidential and provincial council elections.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai backed election laws in a July decree. Members of an independent election commission were appointed earlier this month.

Kubis said recent developments were encouraging, adding Afghanistan was doing better with its political processes more than 10 years after international forces removed the Taliban from power.

"Security will be central to ensuring inclusive elections and is one area requiring increased attention," the mission said in a statement Tuesday.

A July report from the U.N. Assistance Mission in Afghanistan said 74 percent of the casualties reported during the first six months of 2013 were attributed to insurgents. Civilian casualties in the first six months of 2013 were 23 percent higher than the same time last year.

Presidential and provincial council elections are scheduled April 5. International combat forces are looking to end their commitments to Afghanistan next year as well.

Topics: Hamid Karzai, War in Afghanistan
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...