Members of the Security Council issued a statement expressing concern over the level of violence in Jonglei, the largest state in South Sudan.
"They strongly condemned attacks on civilians and the looting of U.N. and other international aid organizations' facilities in Jonglei state, South Sudan," the world body said in a statement Friday.
Security Council members "deplored" the large-scale displacement of the civilian population caused by the deteriorating security situation in Jonglei. They said it was the responsibility of South Sudan's government to ensure civilians can get access to humanitarian assistance safely.
"They called on all parties, including armed militias, to exercise restraint, refrain from any acts of violence against civilians, and fully respect their obligations under applicable international law, including human rights law and international humanitarian law," the statement said.
The U.N. Mission in South Sudan estimates approximately 100,000 civilians have been affected by fighting between national and rebel forces. The mission said last week it was working to ensure civilians have move freely and safely to food distribution centers in the state.