UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

PKK peace initiative hits snags

  |
 
Published: Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

ANKARA, Turkey, Aug. 19 (UPI) -- Improving the prison conditions for jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan will help advance the peace process with Ankara, a pro-Kurdish leader said.

Ocalan, leader of the militant organization Kurdistan Workers' Party, in March called on his fighters to leave Turkey as part of a peace initiative brokered with the government. PKK fighters were slow to move out of the country and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan last week said militants weren't serious about peace.

"The promises given concerning withdrawal from Turkey have not been kept," he was quoted as saying Friday by Turkish newspaper Today's Zaman.

Kurdish leaders said they were frustrated by the lack of security guarantees from the government. Selahattin Demirtas, leader of the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party, said moving Ocalan to a larger prison cell would help facilitate the peace process.

"A change in Ocalan's prison conditions will affect the course of the process," he was quoted Monday as saying. "Ocalan should be allowed to meet with intellectuals, writers, media members and wise people [to discuss the issue]."

Thousands of people on both sides were killed during the 30-year conflict between the PKK and the Turkish government. The PKK is pressing for more Kurdish rights.

Topics: Abdullah Ocalan, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Today's Zaman
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...