facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Lebanese military put on alert

Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM   |   Comments

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Aug. 19 (UPI) -- The Lebanese military is called on to respond with "appropriate means" to weekend rocket fire from Syrian territory, the Lebanese president said.

No injuries were reported when four rockets fired from Syrian territory struck southern Lebanon last weekend. Lebanese President Michel Suleiman said Monday he was surprised by the assault on national security.

A statement from his office, published by The Daily Star newspaper, said it was part of an ongoing effort to push Lebanon into a state of disarray.

"[Suleiman] ordered the Lebanese army to determine the source of fire and deal with it with the appropriate means," the statement said.

Lebanon has been on edge for most of the year as the Syrian civil war threatens to spill over the border. Internal dynamics were strained when Hezbollah admitted it had fighters fighting alongside pro-government forces in Syria.

More than 20 people were killed and at least 250 others were injured when a bomb exploded last week in a Hezbollah stronghold in southern Beirut.

The bombing followed a statement from Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah taking credit for an explosion that injured four Israeli troops along the southern border.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
3
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
4
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
5
Alleged jihadist charged with killing 4 in Washington, N.J.
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback