UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Rights group ties Rwanda to DRC conflict

  |
 
Published: July 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM

KINSHASA, Democratic Republic of Congo, July 23 (UPI) -- Rwandan forces are suspected of supporting rebels accused of mass atrocities in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Human Rights Watch said.

The rights organization said it determined from more than 100 interviews since March at least 44 people were summarily executed and 61 women and girls in eastern DRC were raped by March 23 Movement members.

Fighting in eastern DRC halted briefly after M23 forces gave up territory seized in an offensive last year. Fighting resumed mid-July and residents told the rights group the rebel campaign had support from Rwanda.

"Not only is Rwanda allowing its territory to be used by the abusive M23 to get recruits and equipment but the Rwandan military is still directly supporting the M23," Daniel Bekele, Africa director at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement Monday. "This support is sustaining an armed group responsible for numerous killings, rapes and other serious abuses."

Rwandan President Paul Kagame said allegations of support for DRC rebels like M23 were misguided. He said many of the problems in DRC require political, not military, solutions.

Human Rights Watch said many rebel elements in DRC are tied to the Rwandan genocide in the 1990s.

Topics: Paul Kagame
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...