UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

PKK chief beckons Turkish media

  |
 
Published: July 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

ANKARA, Turkey, July 22 (UPI) -- Jailed leader of the separatist Kurdistan Workers' Party said he wants to speak with the Turkish media to discuss the peace process in person.

Abdullah Ocalan, jailed leader of the militant known by its Kurdish initials PKK, delivered a statement to the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party about an ongoing settlement process.

Ocalan in May called on PKK fighters to abandon Turkish territory. Small groups of guerrillas started leaving for Iraq, though PKK supporters said their withdrawal is complicated by security challenges along the border.

Ocalan said he wanted to meet with the Turkish media to address the issue in person. He said conditions at his remote prison facility aren't conducive to an active role in the peace process, though he said he's no pessimist, Turkish newspaper Today's Zaman reported Sunday.

PKK leaders said they were frustrated with the peace process, warning the government last week it was time to take the issue seriously.

Ocalan's health was said to be in decline. The Turkish government denied the rumors last week.

"Speculations made over Ocalan's health could negatively affect the settlement process," a Justice Ministry statement said.

The PKK declared war on the Turkish government in the 1980s.

Topics: Abdullah Ocalan, Today's Zaman
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...