UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

No mea culpas expected from Russia, Georgia

  |
 
Published: July 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM

TBILISI, Georgia, July 3 (UPI) -- Work is under way to repair diplomatic ties with Moscow but few breakthroughs are expected before the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, Georgia's prime minister said.

Russia is host of the 2014 Olympic Games in the Black Sea resort city of Sochi, near the border with Georgia and both nations have been working on improving bilateral diplomatic affairs. Russian President Vladimir Putin caused a stir this year when he ordered snap military drills near Sochi in preparation for the Games.

Georgian Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili said Wednesday no major breakthroughs would be made before the Winter Olympics begin in February.

"We are working on resuming regular flights between Moscow and Tbilisi. There are ongoing negotiations on visa facilitation and even the abolition of visas," he was quoted by Russia's official RIA Novosti as saying. "But one thing is problematic, for example, the construction of barriers at the borders with Abkhazia and South Ossetia."

Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili took his country to war with Russia in 2008 over claims to the breakaway republics of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. A Russian border fence built last month near the border of the republics sparked additional concerns.

Georgia aspires to join NATO. It's the largest contributor of forces to the international mission in Afghanistan among non-NATO members.

Topics: Mikheil Saakashvili, War in Afghanistan
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...