Charges filed against GITMO detainee

June 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

WASHINGTON, June 11 (UPI) -- The U.S. Defense Department said it filed charges against Guantanamo Bay detainee Abd al-Hadi al-Iraqi for his role in terrorist attacks in Afghanistan.

The Defense Department accused the Iraqi of joining al-Qaida by 1996. He is suspected of ascending to a high high spot in the terrorist hierarchy and commanding insurgency efforts in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He was assigned later by Osama bin Laden to take on a role in al-Qaida operations in Iraq.

The Defense Department said the charges were forwarded to a convening authority, which would determine what charges, if any, should be referred to a military commission at Guantanamo Bay.

If convicted, the suspect, probably in his 50s, faces a maximum sentence of life confinement.

The suspect, an Iraqi national, is characterized as a high-value detainee by the Defense Department. He was transferred to Guantanamo Bay in 2007.

About 100 inmates at the U.S. Navy's detention center are waging a hunger strike. President Obama told the Defense Department's National Defense University last month there was "no justification beyond politics" for keeping the prison at Guantanamo Bay open.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
TSU shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded in third shooting this week at Houston campus
Listeria threat prompts Whole Foods cheese recall
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution