Sergei Chemezov, chief executive officer at military company Russian Technologies, said an unidentified Libyan government official asked in a letter to resume frozen weapons contracts, state news agency RIA Novosti reported last week.
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office provided information Tuesday about its embargoes and sanctions on Libya. It says British and European arms embargoes remain in place for Libya.
The FCO said the embargo may apply to materials that extend beyond the export of "arms and related material."
"Exporters can apply for an export license for their goods," the FCO stated. "All applications will be considered by the government on a case-by-case basis."
Russia lost about $4 billion in military contracts with Libya because of its embargo. The FCO update wasn't directed specifically at the Russian government.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Tuesday a delegation was headed to Libya to provide advice on ensuring national security. He stressed it wasn't a training mission, however.
NATO forces intervened in Libya's civil war in 2011 to protect civilians from attacks by forces loyal to Moammar Gadhafi.