Bombing in Turkey frustrates Lebanon

May 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

BEIRUT, Lebanon, May 13 (UPI) -- The Lebanese government said Monday it wanted to see those responsible for a weekend bombing in Turkey held accountable to the rule of law.

A car bomb exploded Saturday in southern Turkey near the border with Syria, killing at least 50 people. The Turkish government blamed the attack on pro-government forces in Syria.

Lebanese President Michel Suleiman said Monday he was concerned about the spread of violence.

"Those behind the attack, whatever their affiliation, must be punished," he was quoted by The Daily Star newspaper in Lebanon as saying.

Fears of spillover have spread as Syrian civil war is into its third year. Lebanon has been on edge amid accusations that forces form Shiite resistance movement Hezbollah may be supporting pro-government forces in Syria.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said last weekend that those behind the attack would pay. The Turkish military, however, wouldn't get pushed to war, he added.

NATO sent the Patriot missile defense system to the Turkish border last year to protect its ally from war. There are no plans for a no-fly zone over Syria, however.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing
Murdoch sorry for implying Obama's not a 'real black president'
Reid sues exercise companies over eye injury
Lumber Liquidators to pay $10M in DOJ settlement