UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

U.N.: Girls raped during DRC violence

|
 
Published: May 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

KINSHASA, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 8 (UPI) -- Girls as young as 6 years were raped by Congolese military personnel during a fight with rebels last year, a U.N. investigation said.

The rebel March 23 Movement seized territory in North Kivu province in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. Former M23 leader Bosco Ntaganda surrendered to the International Criminal Court, where he's the subject of two arrest warrants for war crimes committed in DRC.

A report published Wednesday by the U.N. Joint Human Rights Office said human rights laws were violated during last year's conflict.

The investigation documented 135 cases of sexual violence by the Congolese military.

"The victims included 33 girls aged between 6 and 17," the report said.

The U.N. report said the integration of former rebels into the military and poor training were likely to blame for the incidents. M23 forces were accused of committing at least 59 acts of sexual violence.

The U.N. mission in DRC helped launched a judicial probe into the incidents in December, leading to the suspension of 12 military officers. Congolese authorities are conducting their own investigation.

U.N. special envoy for DRC Roger Meece said the United Nations was supporting Congolese efforts but stressed the probe should be independent and credible if that support is to continue.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: U.S., U.K., concerned for Libya
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Charles Ramsey : "I got a paycheck, take that reward and give it to the kidnap victims
News: 16 year old girl is a swimming champ who has been shattering world records. FARK: She was...
Mother of the year candidate turns to WebMD instead of taking her son to the hospital after he gets...
Theme of Farktography Contest No. 418: "Happy Farktography Anniversary 8". Details and rules in...
Usually it's a dream come true when you have 2 sisters knocking down your door. But seeing as how...
Man dies after shooting down power lines for their copper. At a certain point isn't it just easier...