UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Turkey claims Syria carrying out ethnic cleansing

|
 
Published: May 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

ANKARA, Turkey, May 8 (UPI) -- The alleged massacre of Sunnis in the Syrian city of Banias is part of an ethnic-cleansing campaign, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said.

At least 100 people were killed, allegedly by fighters loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad, last week in the coastal towns of Baida and Banias. Davutoglu said the attacks were was part of a broader campaign to create a safe haven for Alawites in western Syrian.

Sunnis make up the majority of the Syrian population. Assad is an Alawite, a division within the Shiite minority.

"In the Banias massacre, we are concerned over this fact: If it is impossible to control the entire country, the new strategy involves ethnically cleansing some areas and trying to hold on to this territory," Davutoglu told Turkish daily newspaper Hurriyet.

Davutoglu said the civil war in Syria has entered a new stage where Allawites are cleansing the area of Sunnis to create a corridor to Lebanon.

Davutoglu said this week the latest campaign was part of Assad's so-called Plan B. He compared the alleged massacre to the massacre at Srebrenica, a 1995 assault by Serbian forces that left more than 8,000 Muslim teenagers and men dead.

NATO forces have deployed Patriot missiles to protect Turkish borders.

The Turkish newspaper said thousands of Sunnis have fled the region out of fear of a massacre, something the Turkish prime minister said Assad's regime would "definitely" regret.

Topics: Ahmet Davutoglu
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Cybersecurity act could thwart foreign agents
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Charles Ramsey : "I got a paycheck, take that reward and give it to the kidnap victims
News: 16 year old girl is a swimming champ who has been shattering world records. FARK: She was...
Mother of the year candidate turns to WebMD instead of taking her son to the hospital after he gets...
Theme of Farktography Contest No. 418: "Happy Farktography Anniversary 8". Details and rules in...
Usually it's a dream come true when you have 2 sisters knocking down your door. But seeing as how...
Man dies after shooting down power lines for their copper. At a certain point isn't it just easier...