UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Libya's defense minister quits

|
 
Published: May 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM

TRIPOLI, Libya, May 7 (UPI) -- Libyan Defense Minister Mohammed al-Bargathi said he resigned Tuesday because of the ongoing militia occupation of government ministries.

Bargathi said on national television Tuesday that guerrilla forces had waged "an assault on democracy." He said he was resigning because he couldn't serve a government controlled by gunmen, the independent Libya Herald reports.

Gunmen stormed government buildings last month and ministerial buildings were stormed this week. The Libyan report said Bargathi was frustrated that Prime Minister Ali Zeidan was apparently negotiating with militia leaders over possible government positions.

Defense Ministry spokesman Adel Barrasi told the newspaper Bargathi resigned out of frustration with the influence that militias had nearly two years after Moammar Gadhafi's regime collapsed during civil war.

Barrasi said the resignation had nothing to do with a law passed last weekend that bars former regime officials for holding political office.

Militias said in April they occupied some ministerial buildings to pressure the government to prevent Gadhafi-era authorities from holding office.

Zeidan and some other high-ranking officials served in Gadhafi's government. Human Rights Watch said the law restricting their service was too vague.

Topics: Moammar Gadhafi
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Mary Robinson sees hope for DRC
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Scratch-and-sniff safety cards that smell like natural gas prompt natural gas scare
Teacha The Hutt charged with sex crimes involving a 13 year-old student who texted her and said...
There's a reason Charles Ramsey was quick to think he was hearing a "domestic violence" situation...
Psychic faces backlash for telling mother of Amanda Berry that her daughter was dead back in 2004....
After years of study, scientists conclude Oregon is the worst state to retire in
Tin Foil Hat Time: Unidentified Body found with no identifying markers except a Masonic tattoo