UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Libyan law bars Gadhafi-era officials

|
 
Published: May 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

TRIPOLI, Libya, May 6 (UPI) -- A law passed by the Libyan Parliament banning former regime members from government office is too vague, Human Rights Watch said.

Libyan lawmakers passed a measure by a two-thirds plus-one majority to bar anyone who served in an official capacity from 1969-2011 in Libya from holding political office. While measure is said to have wide support, some citizens said they were suspicious of ulterior motives, the BBC reports.

Armed men stormed the building housing the Libyan Foreign Ministry last month, calling for a moratorium on hiring officials from the regime of Moammar Gadhafi, who died during the 2011 civil war.

Libyan security has lapsed in the wake of the war. Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said after the April attacks that Libyans should rally around the central government, which he said is struggling against those who want to see the post-Gadhafi government fail.

Director for Middle East programs for Human Rights Watch Sarah Leah Whitson said her organization was concerned about the broad scope of the measure.

"This law is far too vague, potentially barring anyone who ever worked for the authorities during the four decades of Gadhafi's rule," she said in a statement.

Zeidan and General National Congress speaker Mohamed Magariaf both served as diplomats during the Gadhafi era.

Topics: Moammar Gadhafi, Sarah Leah Whitson
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Turkey's diplomatic affairs please EU
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Scratch-and-sniff safety cards that smell like natural gas prompt natural gas scare
Teacha The Hutt charged with sex crimes involving a 13 year-old student who texted her and said...
There's a reason Charles Ramsey was quick to think he was hearing a "domestic violence" situation...
Psychic faces backlash for telling mother of Amanda Berry that her daughter was dead back in 2004....
After years of study, scientists conclude Oregon is the worst state to retire in
Tin Foil Hat Time: Unidentified Body found with no identifying markers except a Masonic tattoo