UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Nigerian massacre horrifies United Nations

|
 
Published: May 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

GENEVA, Switzerland, May 3 (UPI) -- The Nigerian government is called on to make sure national security efforts conform with human rights laws, a U.N. human rights representative said.

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights spokesman Rupert Colville said there was a deep sense of concern following an April massacre in Nigeria.

The United Nations estimates that about 200 people were killed and more than 2,000 houses were destroyed following a Nigerian military raid in the town of Baga. The raids were allegedly in response to an attack by Islamic militant group Boko Haram, which left one Nigerian soldier dead.

Colville said the Nigerian government was called on to ensure that national security was achieved in a manner that respected human rights. Further efforts are needed to "avoid excessive use of force when conducting operations, as these are feeding local resentment, especially when civilians are killed or have their property damaged," he said.

Boko Haram aims to establish an Islamic state in Nigeria, which is divided along Muslim and Christian lines.

Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan, a Christian, said he was committed to holding the perpetrators accountable for any violations of the law.

Colville said that last month's attacks was likely the deadliest in the fight against Boko Haram, adding he was "very concerned" by the death toll.

Topics: Goodluck Jonathan
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Scratch-and-sniff safety cards that smell like natural gas prompt natural gas scare
Teacha The Hutt charged with sex crimes involving a 13 year-old student who texted her and said...
There's a reason Charles Ramsey was quick to think he was hearing a "domestic violence" situation...
Psychic faces backlash for telling mother of Amanda Berry that her daughter was dead back in 2004....
After years of study, scientists conclude Oregon is the worst state to retire in
Tin Foil Hat Time: Unidentified Body found with no identifying markers except a Masonic tattoo