UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Revenge seen along Lebanese-Syrian border

|
 
Published: May 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

BEIRUT, Lebanon, May 2 (UPI) -- The Lebanese government hasn't done enough to prevent retaliatory attacks along the border with Syria, Human Rights Watch said Thursday.

Concerns about Lebanese security have escalated as Syrian civil war drags into its third year.

Human Rights Watch said it was concerned that Lebanese forces weren't doing enough to prevent sectarian kidnappings in border regions. Fighting has erupted sporadically in northern Lebanon between pro- and anti-Syrian elements.

Deputy Director of Middle East Programs at Human Rights Watch Nadim Houry said the government needs to step in to prevent an increase in vigilante justice.

"The government should keep working to secure the victims' release but must also send a clear signal that these abductions are crimes that will be investigated and prosecuted," he said in a statement.

Houry warned last month that cross-border attacks raised the possibility that Syrian fighting may spread across the border into Lebanon. Some victims of kidnapping who were released told the rights group they were abducted by the Free Syrian Army.

"As the conflict in Syria increasingly seeps across the border, the Lebanese government hasn't done enough to maintain rule of law and security in the border regions," he said.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah said this week that his forces in Lebanon were fighting Syria rebels in a show of solidarity with Syrian President Bashar Assad.

Topics: Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Scratch-and-sniff safety cards that smell like natural gas prompt natural gas scare
Teacha The Hutt charged with sex crimes involving a 13 year-old student who texted her and said...
There's a reason Charles Ramsey was quick to think he was hearing a "domestic violence" situation...
Psychic faces backlash for telling mother of Amanda Berry that her daughter was dead back in 2004....
After years of study, scientists conclude Oregon is the worst state to retire in
Tin Foil Hat Time: Unidentified Body found with no identifying markers except a Masonic tattoo