UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

FBI appeals for help in Benghazi attack

|
 
Published: May 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

WASHINGTON, May 2 (UPI) -- The FBI said it was looking for information about three men seen on the grounds of the U.S. consulate in Benghazi at the time of a deadly September attack.

U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three of his staff members died after the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was overrun Sept. 11, 2012.

The FBI published grainy images of three individuals it says were on the grounds of the consulate at the time of the attack.

"The FBI is now asking Libyans and people around the world for additional information related to the attacks," the agency said in a statement. "These individuals may be able to provide information to help in the investigation."

U.S. lawmakers are searching for answers regarding the attack. Members of the House of Representatives questioned U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry recently on what sort of security was in place at the time of the attack. Hillary Clinton faced a similar line of questioning before she stepped down as secretary of State.

The U.S. State Department warned in March that the security situation in Libya was "unpredictable." The French Embassy in Tripoli was attacked last month.

The U.S. government described the Benghazi incident last year as an act of terrorism.

Topics: John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Sept. 11
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...