UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

FBI appeals for help in Benghazi attack

|
 
Published: May 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

WASHINGTON, May 2 (UPI) -- The FBI said it was looking for information about three men seen on the grounds of the U.S. consulate in Benghazi at the time of a deadly September attack.

U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three of his staff members died after the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was overrun Sept. 11, 2012.

The FBI published grainy images of three individuals it says were on the grounds of the consulate at the time of the attack.

"The FBI is now asking Libyans and people around the world for additional information related to the attacks," the agency said in a statement. "These individuals may be able to provide information to help in the investigation."

U.S. lawmakers are searching for answers regarding the attack. Members of the House of Representatives questioned U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry recently on what sort of security was in place at the time of the attack. Hillary Clinton faced a similar line of questioning before she stepped down as secretary of State.

The U.S. State Department warned in March that the security situation in Libya was "unpredictable." The French Embassy in Tripoli was attacked last month.

The U.S. government described the Benghazi incident last year as an act of terrorism.

Topics: John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Sept. 11
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Scratch-and-sniff safety cards that smell like natural gas prompt natural gas scare
Teacha The Hutt charged with sex crimes involving a 13 year-old student who texted her and said...
There's a reason Charles Ramsey was quick to think he was hearing a "domestic violence" situation...
Psychic faces backlash for telling mother of Amanda Berry that her daughter was dead back in 2004....
After years of study, scientists conclude Oregon is the worst state to retire in
Tin Foil Hat Time: Unidentified Body found with no identifying markers except a Masonic tattoo