UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Libyan ministry stormed by armed men

|
 
Published: April 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM

TRIPOLI, Libya, April 30 (UPI) -- The Libyan people are called on to rally around their government in the face of internal acts of sabotage, Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said Tuesday.

Armed men stormed the building housing the Libyan Foreign Ministry, calling for a moratorium on the hiring of officials from the regime of Moammar Gadhafi, who died during the 2011 civil war.

Libyan security has lapsed in the wake of the war. The French Embassy in Tripoli was bombed last week and foreign governments have warned of the security risks in most major metropolitan areas of the country.

The U.N. Security Council issued a statement saying attacks on diplomatic interests could "seriously impede" the work of the international community in Libya.

An attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, last year resulted in the death of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three members of his staff.

Zeidan said Tuesday that Libyans should rally around the central government, which is struggling against "people who want to destabilize the country," the BBC reports.

The BBC reports that about 20 vehicles carrying men armed with assault rifles blocked most of the major roads leading to Tripoli. The BBC reports the militia is unorganized, however.

Topics: Moammar Gadhafi
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...