UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

U.S. concerned by DRC violence

|
 
Published: April 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM

WASHINGTON, April 25 (UPI) -- Armed groups in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo pose a threat to any citizen traveling in the area, the U.S. State Department said.

The rebel March 23 Movement seized control over parts of eastern DRC last year. Former M23 leader Bosco Ntaganda surrendered to the International Criminal Court, where he's the subject of two arrest warrants for war crimes committed in DRC.

The State Department said it was concerned about the security situation in the DRC.

"Armed groups, bandits, and elements of the Congolese military remain security concerns in eastern and northeastern DRC," a State Department announcement said.

The U.N. mission in DRC said about 1,500 civilians sought refuge near a peacekeeping base in eastern DRC in early April. They fled the area near the Rwandan border following clashes between Congolese and rebel forces.

The U.N. Security Council backed a special unit within the peacekeeping mission that would have combat duties.

Rights group said the intervention brigade would raise the risk of reprisal attacks.

"Although the rebels withdrew from (North Kivu provincial capital) Goma in December 2012, the security and political situation in Goma and North Kivu remains tense and fragile," the State Department said.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Scratch-and-sniff safety cards that smell like natural gas prompt natural gas scare
Teacha The Hutt charged with sex crimes involving a 13 year-old student who texted her and said...
There's a reason Charles Ramsey was quick to think he was hearing a "domestic violence" situation...
Psychic faces backlash for telling mother of Amanda Berry that her daughter was dead back in 2004....
After years of study, scientists conclude Oregon is the worst state to retire in
Tin Foil Hat Time: Unidentified Body found with no identifying markers except a Masonic tattoo