CAIRO, April 16 (UPI) -- Suggestions that Egyptian military figures were tied to violence during the 2011 revolution are misleading, the Egyptian prosecutor general said.
Egyptian Prosecutor General Talaat Abdallah said there was no concrete evidence that security forces committed acts of violence or otherwise violated human rights during the 2011 revolution.
A report last week by The Guardian newspaper in London suggested that officials in the Egyptian Interior Minister signed off on the use of live ammunition against protesters during the early stages of the uprising.
Abdallah said an investigation, sanctioned by Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, collected more than 1,000 pages of evidence. Parts of the report leaked last week to The Guardian "had intimations that could not be interpreted as evidence," he was quoted by the Egyptian Independent newspaper as saying.
Former President Hosni Mubarak was arrested in April 2011 and sentenced two months later to life in prison for failing to protect protesters during the 18-day uprising.
The judge overseeing the trial recused himself Saturday and a court Monday ruled Mubarak shouldn't be held for killing protesters because the time had expired for provisional detention. He's to remain jailed while corruption charges against him are investigated.
Former Interior Minister Habib el-Adley is also facing trial for his role in the deaths of protesters during the revolution.