North Korea claims win in nuclear standoff

March 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM
| License Photo

PYONGYANG, North Korea, March 25 (UPI) -- A decision from the United Nations to investigate the North Korean rights record is indicative of its failure in the nuclear standoff, the government said.

The United Nations last week said it would investigate North Korea's rights record. The government is accused of focusing heavily on its military arsenal to the detriment of its people.

The government said last week's decision was a publicity move meant to tarnish North Korea's reputation.

"(It's a) smear campaign against the human rights in North Korea, a desperate effort to evade a shameful defeat in the nuclear standoff with the government and invent a pretext for invasion and pressure," the Yonhap news agency in South Korea quoted Pyongyang as saying.

North Korea drew international rebukes in February when it carried out its third underground nuclear test.

The U.S and South Korean governments signed a deal last week to respond to what U.S. Forces Korea described as North Korean "provocations."

North Korea threatened to use nuclear weapons in response to growing international condemnations. Its February nuclear test was described as part of a campaign against the United States.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
One arrested after Philadelphia college lockdown
Boehner delays House vote for new speaker
NASA releases thousands of Apollo mission photos on Flickr
Snowden: U.S. won't respond to offers to serve prison time
FDA approves new treatment for advanced lung cancer