UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

West calls on Sudans to get serious

|
 
Published: March. 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

WASHINGTON, March 14 (UPI) -- While border agreements between Sudan and South Sudan are welcome developments, many outstanding issues remain, Western powers said.

South Sudanese President Salva Kiir this week ordered his forces from the Sudanese border. Both sides in Ethiopia agreed to prepare to establish a demilitarized zone along the border.

"We call on the parties to begin implementation of all aspects of these agreements immediately and unconditionally," a statement from British Foreign Secretary William Hague, Norwegian Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry read.

Both sides have squabbled over issues such as oil exports and the status of disputed borders.

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice this week said she was concerned that, while Sudanese leaders have made similar deals in the past, few have been implemented.

South Sudanese military leaders this week said it would border redeployment was under way. Juba called on its counterparts in Sudan to do the same.

South Sudan in 2011 gained independence from Sudan under the terms of a 2005 peace deal that ended civil war. Since then, border clashes, disputes over oil and ethnic conflict have threatened the peace.

Topics: William Hague, John Kerry, Susan Rice
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...