facebook
twitter
search
search

Sexual violence in war haunts London

Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM

LONDON, Feb. 13 (UPI) -- The British government announced it was contributing more than $750,000 to an ICC trust fund for victims of sexual violence.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said the global community should share in a goal of taking "practical action" that would prevent sexual violence in conflict.

"Because so much has been done to raise awareness of the consequences of the use of rape as a weapon of war in recent years, there is a greater hope of achieving that goal today than at any time before," he said.

The British government announced it was contributing about $780,000 to a trust fund for victims of sexual violence at the International Criminal Court.

The U.N. Security Council last month expressed concern about reports of sexual violence during clashes between the rebel March 23 Movement and military forces from the Democratic Republic of Congo.

U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos expressed concern about the "increasing levels of sexual violence" taking place during the Syrian civil war.

"Stopping rape and sexual violence in war is a new moral and practical cause for our generation," Hague said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea
Shark bites Camp Lejeune Marine on North Carolina coast
Donald Trump deletes retweet about Jeb Bush's wife
England deletes 'sexist' tweet about Women's World Cup team
Widow of SKorea President Kim Dae-jung confirmed to visit Pyongyang