VIENNA, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- The International Atomic Energy Agency said Wednesday it was able to confirm Iranian accounts there was no incident at the Fordow nuclear facility.
Conservative news website WND last week reported there was a massive explosion at the Fordow nuclear facility in Iran. It cited a defected Iranian intelligence officer in its report.
IAEA spokesman Gill Tudor told United Press International there was no basis to the WND report.
"We understand that Iran has denied that there has been an incident at Fordow," he said. "This is consistent with our observations."
Shamseddin Barbroudi, deputy head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization was quoted by Press TV as saying the report was a "propaganda stunt."
Iran said power lines to the Fordow nuclear facility were cut in August ahead of a scheduled visit by U.N. nuclear inspectors.
The IAEA has said it wasn't able to verify that Iran was diverting nuclear material for military use. It had expressed concern, however, that parts of the nuclear program may have military dimensions.
Inspectors left the country early this month without gaining access to the Parchin military complex outside Tehran. Iran is suspected of hiding evidence of nuclear work there.