UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Egyptian crackdown troubles HRW

|
 
Published: Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

NEW YORK, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- Human Rights Watch expressed concern about Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi's decision to give the military authority to arrest people without judicial review.

Morsi enacted a state of emergency last weekend giving the military broad judicial authorities. Frustration with his administration reached a breaking point last week as Egyptians marked the second anniversary of the uprising that forced former President Hosni Mubarak from power.

Joe Stork, deputy director of Middle East programs at Human Rights Watch, said that Morsi's decision was a "knee-jerk response" to protests that turned deadly last week. He expressed frustration from New York that there were no corresponding restraints on the use of force.

"Unless the law is amended to specifically limit the jurisdiction of the military justice system to purely military offenses, civilians may still be taken to military courts whenever the military feels like it," he added in his statement.

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay expressed frustration with the level of violence in Egypt two years after the revolution. The country, less than a year after its first democratic presidential election, is in an "extremely fragile and unstable" state, she said.

Topics: Hosni Mubarak, Joe Stork, Navi Pillay
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Special Reports Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
Scratch-and-sniff safety cards that smell like natural gas prompt natural gas scare
Teacha The Hutt charged with sex crimes involving a 13 year-old student who texted her and said...
There's a reason Charles Ramsey was quick to think he was hearing a "domestic violence" situation...
Psychic faces backlash for telling mother of Amanda Berry that her daughter was dead back in 2004....
After years of study, scientists conclude Oregon is the worst state to retire in
Tin Foil Hat Time: Unidentified Body found with no identifying markers except a Masonic tattoo