UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Afghanistan calls for election support

  |
 
Published: Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan, Jan. 22 (UPI) -- The United Nations said it was responding to a request from the Afghan Independent Election Commission for assistance.

The IEC stated it was calling on the United Nations to undertake "as soon as possible" a needs-assessment mission for Afghanistan given the preparations needed for next year's vote.

A four-member U.N. team arrived Friday in Kabul for a 10-day visit to assess Afghanistan's electoral needs.

"The purpose of the needs-assessment mission is to assess the electoral environment and make recommendations on the nature of future U.N. support to the elections, which will be Afghan managed and Afghan led," a statement from the U.N. Assistance Mission in Afghanistan read.

Widespread allegations of fraud in favor of Afghan President Hamid Karzai in 2009 prompted former Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah to withdraw from a second round of voting in his challenge against the incumbent.

Afghan forces are taking a greater role in security operations in the country as international forces wrap up their mission.

Jan Kubis, U.N. special envoy to Afghanistan, told the U.N. Security Council last month that development benchmarks for Afghanistan are at risk, however, "because of weak and inadequate systems of sub-national governance, lack of support from the central level, capacity constraints and insufficient planning on the civilian side."

Topics: Hamid Karzai, Abdullah Abdullah, War in Afghanistan
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...