UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Sudanese protests spark concerns

  |
 
Published: Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

KHARTOUM, Sudan, Dec. 11 (UPI) -- U.S. citizens in Sudan are advised to keep a low profile as demonstrations in the country may turn violent, an embassy statement warned.

The U.S. Embassy in Khartoum said there were several large protests throughout the capital region last weekend.

"Because even peaceful demonstrations can turn confrontational and become violent, U.S. citizens are advised to avoid all public demonstrations and political rallies as well as areas around them," an advisory read.

The warning comes amid heightened concern about the human rights situation in the region. Rupert Colville, a spokesman for the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, said the agency is concerned by the growing number of attacks on human rights defenders in South Sudan.

In Sudan, Colville said four students died during clashes with police in Khartoum recently. Several others have are missing after protesting tuition increases.

"We stress the need for swift investigations into the circumstances surrounding the murders of the students and the importance of bringing the perpetrators to justice," he said in a statement.

South Sudan became an independent country last year as part of a peace deal that ended a long civil war. Both countries have teetered on the brink of war, however, amid ethnic fighting and border disputes.

Recommended Stories
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...