facebook
twitter
search
search

U.N. calls for more work on disarmament

Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

THE HAGUE, Netherlands, Nov. 27 (UPI) -- Though more than 75 percent of declared chemical weapons have been destroyed, a concerted effort is needed to protect the future, a U.N. official said.

Jarmo Sareva, U.N. deputy secretary-general on disarmament, issued a message to delegates gathered at The Hague for the 17th session of the Conference of States Parties to the Chemical Weapons Convention.

He said that, as of October, there were 188 parties to a convention on the prohibition of chemical weapons, leaving only eight countries outside the regime. He said 78 percent of the world's declared chemical weapons stockpiles had been destroyed.

"Let us now focus on fulfilling the core objectives of the convention and prevent the re-emergence or future use of these horrific weapons," he said in a statement.

The Hague meeting follows a decision last week by the U.S. government to cancel a December meeting in Finland to discuss a Middle East region free of weapons of mass destruction. Washington said there was a "deep conceptual gap" in addressing regional security.

"We would not support a conference in which any regional state would be subject to pressure or isolation," Victoria Nuland, a spokeswoman for the U.S. State Department, said in an explanatory statement.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Chelsea Clinton accidentally calls Bernie 'President Sanders'
Watch every star-studded Super Bowl commercial of 2016
Susan Sarandon responds to Piers Morgan criticizing cleavage
Two Virginia Tech students plotted 13-year-old's death, prosecutors said
Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice got classified email on private accounts