facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Defense: No 'credible' threat to Benghazi

Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM   |   Comments

| License Photo
WASHINGTON, Nov. 12 (UPI) -- There was "no specific or credible threat" to the U.S. consulate in Benghazi on the day of deadly attacks there, a U.S. Defense Department official said.

Sept. 11 attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya. U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three members of his staff died in the attack.

A Defense Department official, speaking on background, provided a timeline of the U.S. military response to the deadly consulate attack.

"I would note ... that there was no specific or credible threat that we knew of on the day that the attacks ... occurred in Benghazi," the official said.

The International Committee of the Red Cross pulled its staff out of Benghazi and the State Department issued travel warnings for the region ahead of the attacks, however.

The defense official said U.S. military leaders "absolutely" had forces situated in a way to respond to such events in foreign countries.

"We are an excellent military -- the finest in the world," the official stated. "We're always prepared. But we're neither omniscient nor omnipresent."

David Petraeus, who resigned last week as CIA director because of an extra-marital affair, is scheduled to testify Thursday before U.S. lawmakers on the Benghazi attack.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
France holds up delivery of warships to Russia France holds up delivery of warships to Russia
2
Police suspect poisoning in death of Utah family Police suspect poisoning in death of Utah family
3
Piece of Amelia Earhart plane identified from Nikumaroro Piece of Amelia Earhart plane identified from Nikumaroro
4
Hawaii lava update: 100 feet from home, National Guard deployed Hawaii lava update: 100 feet from home, National Guard deployed
5
Navy SEAL who claims to be Bin Laden's shooter to reveal identity on Fox News Navy SEAL who claims to be Bin Laden's shooter to reveal identity on Fox News
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback