facebook
twitter
search
search

NATO firm on Afghan drawdown

Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan, Oct. 18 (UPI) -- NATO forces operating in Afghanistan are preparing for a training mission there once combat operations end in 2014, the secretary-general said from Kabul.

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen met Thursday with Afghan President Hamid Karzai to discuss military strategy in the country.

Rasmussen said the alliance is committed to handing security responsibility over to Afghan forces by the end of 2014. After 2014, the secretary-general said, NATO forces will serve in an advisory and training capacity.

"This will not be a combat mission," he stressed.

A suicide bomber killed at least seven Afghan intelligence officers Saturday in Kandahar province, officials said. No group claimed responsibility for that attack, though the number of attacks by Afghan forces on NATO troops has increased this year.

Rasmussen said he remained confident about the durability of the partnership between international and Afghan troops despite the so-called green-on-blue attacks.

"The enemies of Afghanistan may change their tactics, but they will not succeed," he said.

NATO defense officials during a ministerial meeting last week reaffirmed their commitment to completing the military transition by the end of 2014. Most Afghans live in areas where national troops are in control, the alliance says.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Topics: Hamid Karzai
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kurds plan to carve state out of Iraq after fighting stops, leaders say
U.S. airstrike kills one of first Islamic State members in Syria
Former Russian oligarch Sergei Pugachyov suing kremlin for $15 billlion
Van hauling fireworks catches fire on I-15 near California-Nevada border
July 4 terror threats an annual but necessary ritual, experts say