facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Hezbollah issues stern warning to Israel

Sept. 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM   |   Comments

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Sept. 4 (UPI) -- All options are on the table in the event Israeli forces launch an attack on Lebanese interests, Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah said.

Nasrallah told the Hezbollah's al-Manar news channel that a strong deterrent was needed in the face of Israeli aggression.

"When Israel threatens to destroy Lebanon, it is our duty to stand in its face and say: This era is over," he said.

Hezbollah and Israel went to war briefly in 2006. A U.N. Security Council resolution that helped broker a cease-fire calls on Hezbollah to disarm while reminding Israel of its obligations to respect Lebanese sovereignty.

Nasrallah last month said "the No. 1 threat for Israel" in the world is Hezbollah.

"If Israel attacks us, all options are open," he said during the interview.

He maintained, however, that there were no chemical weapons in Hezbollah's arsenal.

The U.S. Departments of Treasury and State in August sanctioned Hezbollah for backing the Syrian regime, under pressure for the international community for fighting in the country.

Hezbollah is listed as a terrorist organization by the U.S. government.

The movement's Deputy Secretary-General Naim Qassem had said his group opposed foreign interference in the conflict.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Source: Ferguson cop beaten before shooting
2
Brady Morton's body discovered three days after Port Huron Float Down
3
Boko Haram overruns Nigerian police academy
4
Amanda Curtis launches Montana Senate campaign after Walsh bows out
5
Granite head of Lenin stays unexcavated, Berlin senate says
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback