Sofia looking for bombing accomplices

July 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

SOFIA, Bulgaria, July 24 (UPI) -- Bulgarian officials said they were investigating possible suspects believed to have helped a man carry out a suicide bombing last week in Burgas.

At least seven tourists, including Israeli citizens, were killed Wednesday in a suicide bombing of a tour bus in Burgas, Bulgaria. The Israeli government accused Iran and Shiite movement Hezbollah of carrying out the attack, allegedly conducted by a man carrying a false U.S. identification card.

An autopsy report revealed the bomber was a white male, 20-30 years old.

Bulgarian police distributed a sketch of another suspect that resembles someone of Arab descent.

Bulgarian authorities revealed to ABC News that the bomber didn't act alone.

"The key question is from what country the bomber entered Bulgaria. At the moment we do not have an answer," one official was quoted as saying. "But what we know now is that he was not acting alone."

The Wall Street Journal, citing a person familiar with the investigation, said authorities weren't able to match the bomber's fingerprints with potential suspects. Investigators are working with Swedish forensic teams as Hezbollah has a strong presence in the country, the newspaper reported.

Iran denied suggestions it played a role in the bombing.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing
Murdoch sorry for implying Obama's not a 'real black president'
Reid sues exercise companies over eye injury
Lumber Liquidators to pay $10M in DOJ settlement