facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Renewed concerns over Ivory Coast

July 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM   |   Comments

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast, July 23 (UPI) -- A U.N. official called on Ivorian forces to take responsibility for security operations after seven people were killed in a refugee camp in the country.

Hundreds of people stormed a camp for the internally displaced in Ivory Coast, leaving seven people dead and 13 others injured.

Bert Koenders, U.N. special envoy to Ivory Coast, condemned the attacks in the west of the country that left 5,000 people displaced.

Local and state authorities, he said, were called on to "assume their responsibilities by making more effort to ensure, by all appropriate means, the security of the people and their possessions, with the required professionalism and while respecting human rights."

The envoy told members of the U.N. Security Council last week the situation in Ivory Coast was "complex" nearly two years after disputed 2010 presidential elections. Rival claims to victory pushed the country to the brink of civil war and left former President Laurent Gbagbo on trial at The Hague.

Chaloka Beyani, U.N. special envoy on the human rights of the internally displaced, started a 9-day tour of Ivory Coast this week.

"I will also consider the degree of achievement of durable solutions by those who have returned to their place of origin, locally integrated or resettled in a different part of the country," he said in a statement Monday.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback