facebook
twitter
search
search

Kazakh riots plagued by uncertainty

July 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

ASTANA, Kazakhstan, July 12 (UPI) -- There are too many unanswered questions surrounding the use of force during demonstrations in Kazakhstan in December, a top U.N. official said.

Clashes between security forces and demonstrators followed strikes in Zhanaozen in December. At least 15 people were killed. A video circulated on YouTube shows demonstrators apparently getting shot by riot police, though security officials claimed victims were struck by ricochets.

Human Rights Watch said it appeared Kazakh authorities were trying to silence government critics despite promises of a transparent investigation into December violence.

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said from Astana there was evidence to suggest authorities used excessive force during the "tragic events" in December. A precise narrative of the events, she added, has so far proved "elusive."

"Allegations of torture and forced confessions do not seem to have been properly investigated, and there are many serious question marks over the fairness of judicial processes, and the conduct of trials (related to the incident)," she said in a statement.

Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev had said labor disputes and "criminal plots" are separate matters.

Pillay added it wasn't clear who gave the order to fire on the demonstrators.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Pilot in Taiwan plane crash shut down wrong engine, black boxes show
Small plane crash kills two near Dallas
Russian diplomats slam 'divisive' UN measure on Srebrenica
Customs officials seize stolen Indian statue worth $1M in New York
Talks with NKorea come with conditions, says White House advisor