facebook
twitter
search
search

Muslim Bros. plan Friday demonstrations

April 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

CAIRO, April 11 (UPI) -- The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt called for mass demonstrations Friday in Cairo to protect the spirit of the revolution.

Muslim Brotherhood Secretary-General Mahmoud Hussein called for a "million-man march" to protest against what he said was an effort by former regime officials to reclaim power, Egyptian news service al-Ahram reports.

Former Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman announced last week he was entering the country's presidential race, saying he couldn't refuse "the people's will." Veteran Egyptian diplomat and former Foreign Minister Amr Moussa is said to be one of the leading presidential candidates in elections scheduled for May.

Moussa said this week that despite his tenure during the Hosni Mubarak era, it was wrong to associate him with the former regime, al-Ahram adds. Moussa served as secretary-general of the Arab League, which has its headquarters in Cairo, from 2001-11.

May's presidential election is to be Egypt's first since a popular uprising forced Mubarak from power after roughly 30 years.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kurds plan to carve state out of Iraq after fighting stops, leaders say
U.S. airstrike kills one of first Islamic State members in Syria
Former Russian oligarch Sergei Pugachyov suing kremlin for $15 billlion
Van hauling fireworks catches fire on I-15 near California-Nevada border
July 4 terror threats an annual but necessary ritual, experts say