facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

U.N. relocates staff after Afghan attacks

Feb. 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM   |   Comments

1 of 2
| License Photo
JALALABAD, Afghanistan, Feb. 27 (UPI) -- The United Nations announced that it moved international staff members from its office in Kunduz province in Afghanistan following an insurgent attack.

At least nine people were killed in attacks Monday in Afghanistan in a second week of violence following the alleged desecration of the Koran last week.

The U.N. Assistance Mission in Afghanistan announced Monday it relocated its staff following attacks on its offices in Kunduz. UNAMA didn't report any injuries in its statement.

The attacks came despite apologies offered by U.S. President Barack Obama and appeals for calm by military and Afghan authorities for last week's incident.

"This temporary relocation takes place inside Afghanistan and will be for a limited period of time," said UNAMA in a statement. "The UNAMA office in Kunduz will continue to deliver the critical programs in the region for the people who need them the most."

Talks were to begin among members of the Taliban and Afghan authorities. The Taliban, however, took responsibility Monday for blowing up a tank in Farah province, "killing and wounding all invaders on board."

International forces operating in Afghanistan are looking to hand security responsibility over to Afghan forces in 2014. U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan Ryan Crocker told CNN tensions were running high in the country but said there should be no rush to pull out U.S. troops ahead of schedule.

Topics: Barack Obama
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback