UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

PKO head chided for meeting Sudan's Bashir

  |
 
Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir attends his official departure ceremony in Tehran, Iran, April 26, 2006. (UPI Photo/Mohammad Kheirkhah)
Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir attends his official departure ceremony in Tehran, Iran, April 26, 2006. (UPI Photo/Mohammad Kheirkhah) 
License photo
Published: Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

KHARTOUM, Sudan, Feb. 2 (UPI) -- The head of the peacekeeping mission in Darfur is called on to avoid encounters with Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, a U.N. spokesman said.

Human Rights Watch said in a letter to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon last week after photographs surfaced of Ibrahim Gambari, head of peacekeeping operations in Darfur, speaking with Bashir in Khartoum.

The International Criminal Court considered the situation in Darfur formally in 2005. Since then, it's issued arrest warrants for Assad; Ahmed Harun, a former minister; and Janjaweed military leader Ali Kushayb on allegations of war crimes charges.

The rights organization, in its letter, said that the U.N. Department of Peacekeeping Operations noted Gambari was attending a wedding at the invitation of the Chadian president and had "no control over the guest list," the independent Sudan Tribune reports.

U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky was quoted by the newspaper as saying Gambari was asked to avoid encounters with Bashir.

"Mr. Gambari's attention has been drawn to the letter and to the need to avoid such encounters in the future, however unintentional this particular encounter may have been," the spokesman said.

The daughter of the Chadian president in January married an alleged leader of the Janjaweed militia. The ICC in December referred Chad to the U.N. Security Council for not arresting Sudan's president when he visited the country in August.

Topics: Ibrahim Gambari, Omar Al-Bashir
Recommended Stories
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...