facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Clashes, arrests follow Mubarak trial

Sept. 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
CAIRO, Sept. 6 (UPI) -- Almost two dozen people were arrested after clashes broke out following the resumption of the murder trial against Hosni Mubarak, Egyptian officials said.

Mubarak and members of his inner circle are on trial for murder in connection with the death of unarmed protesters during the country's revolution earlier this year.

At least 25 people were injured, including 14 policemen, when clashes broke out after the trial resumed Monday. Authorities arrested 22 in the melee and judicial sources told Egyptian newspaper Al-Masry Al-Youm they'd likely remain in custody until those injured during the skirmishes speak to investigators.

Four senior police officials in the trial against the president testified in court that they didn't receive direct orders to kill protesters.

Mubarak denied the validity of the charges during his initial hearing in early August. Former Interior Minister Habib al-Adly is accused of ordering snipers deployed to key locations in Cairo.

Demonstrators have called on the ruling military council to move quicker on promised reforms, complaining justice was moving too slowly for former regime officials.

At least 30 people were injured during clashes that marked the start of the second court session for Mubarak and his close aides last month.

The trial was adjourned to Wednesday.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback