facebook
twitter
search
search

Arab League blasts Israel for raid

Aug. 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM
1 of 3
| License Photo

CAIRO, Aug. 23 (UPI) -- The Arab League said it condemned Israel for launching an attack that killed five Egyptian policemen on the Egyptian side of the border.

The Egyptian government through its official MENA news station said an Israeli statement of regret for the attack wasn't enough considering the gravity of the breach, al-Jazeera reports.

Thousands of Egyptians protested outside the Israeli Embassy last weekend. Tensions are high between the countries after gunmen dressed in Egyptian uniforms killed several Israelis in a cross-border raid last week.

Cairo denied that gunmen were using its territory to launch attacks on Israel. A group claiming to be associated with al-Qaida took responsibility for the attack, causing analysts to express concern about the security situation in post-revolution Egypt.

The Egyptian government said it wanted to discuss a joint investigation into last week's raid with the Israelis.

"Egypt affirms its solicitude for maintaining peace with Israel but Israel must also assume responsibility for protecting this peace," al-Jazeera quoted the government as saying.

The Arab League in its statement said Israeli bears "full responsibility" for what it said were crimes committed against Egypt.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Minnesota dentist says he regrets killing Cecil the lion
At least 2,000 migrants in France try to enter Channel Tunnel to England
Islamic State militants repelled in counter-attack on Ramadi university
Rep. Mark Meadows seeks ouster of John Boehner as speaker
Florida man accused of Islamic State-inspired attack at beach