No force used in Egypt, council says

May 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM
1 of 11
| License Photo

CAIRO, May 19 (UPI) -- The armed forces of Egypt haven't used force to disperse protesters since the fall of the regime of Hosni Mubarak, the ruling council said.

Several members of the former regime are under investigation for ordering attacks on protesters during the height of the Egyptian revolution early this year.

Protesters have taken to the country's main square in Cairo since Mubarak fell. Christians in Cairo held a protest vigil near the city's Tahrir Square last week, demonstrating against attacks on two churches in which a dozen people died.

Government officials said the violence began over reports that a Christian woman married to a Muslim was being held against her will in the St. Mena Coptic Orthodox Church.

The ruling military council denied allegations that armed forces used live ammunition to break up any protests.

"The armed forces didn't and will not use force against the revolution's youth or any one of these great people," the council was quoted by Egyptian daily al-Masry al-Youm as saying.

The council dismissed the allegations as part of an effort to create divisions in the country.

Egypt is preparing for parliamentary and presidential elections later this year in order to replace the Mubarak and military governments.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Calif. Gov. Brown vetoes campus sexual assault bill
Obama: Clinton emails a 'mistake' but did not 'endanger' U.S.
Washington Post journalist convicted, facing up to 20 years
Travel delays caused by Southwest Airlines glitch
Study: Elephants rarely get cancer