CAIRO, Feb. 24 (UPI) -- Several ministers in the Egyptian government of Hosni Mubarak face criminal probes for misuse of public funds, state prosecutors said.
Egyptian prosecutors said they referred several authorities, including the former housing minister and top business magnates, of misuse of public funds, Egyptian daily newspaper Al-Masry Al-Youm reports.
Similar action was taken against the former trade minister and top officials in National Democratic Party, which led the country during the Mubarak era.
Several days of demonstrations forced Mubarak to resign Feb. 11, ending more than 30 years in power. Demonstrators are calling for an end to an emergency law, though ruling military authorities said they were working on reforms.
Cairo has called for a freeze on most of Mubarak's assets. Travel bans were enacted Wednesday for several former ministers.
Egypt's former Interior Minister Habib al-Adly was accused last week by authorities of ordering security forces to use live ammunition on anti-government protesters in January.
He also faces charges that he pulled police forces off the street and allowed prisoners to escape during the political unrest.
At least 300 people were killed and thousands of others were injured in protests leading to Mubarak's resignation.