BEIRUT, Lebanon, April 30 (UPI) -- Saad Hariri, son of the slain former Lebanese premier, said a decision to release four generals tied to the 2005 assassination was a step toward justice.
Beirut announced Wednesday it had released four retired Lebanese generals -- Jamil Sayyed, Ali Hajj, Raymond Azar and Mustafa Hamdan -- held without charge for their alleged involvement in the assassination of Hariri and several others in a massive bomb attack in downtown Beirut.
Authorities earlier this month had lifted the arrest warrants on the suspects as the Special Tribunal for Lebanon got under way.
Saad Hariri said the decision by the tribunal to release the generals was a positive move into the examination of the assassination, the Lebanese Daily Star reports.
"I welcome any decision issued by the Special Tribunal for Lebanon in Rafik Hariri's case and the other cases," he said.
Last week Mohammad Zuhair al-Siddiq, a former Syrian intelligence officer and suspect in the assassination, was arrested in the United Arab Emirates.
Authorities widely expect Damascus and pro-Syrian officials in Lebanon played a role in the Hariri assassination as he was known for his anti-Syrian views.
Saad Hariri, however, said justice was the most important outcome of the investigation.
"We don't want revenge; we want justice to be achieved for the sake of Lebanon and its people," he said.