Some Cronkite FBI files were destroyed

Sept. 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM
| License Photo

WASHINGTON, Sept. 23 (UPI) -- A former FBI attorney says the bureau should not have destroyed its files on former CBS television anchorman Walter Cronkite.

Scott Hodes, who used to be the top lawyer in the FBI records office, said agency policy requires records on prominent people to be preserved, USA Today reported.

"You are not supposed to destroy records that are historically valuable," Hodes said. "Somebody should have known who Walter Cronkite was."

USA Today had requested Cronkite's files under the Freedom of Information Act but was told some of the documents had been destroyed in 2007.

The FBI had no immediate comment other than to say they work with the National Archives to preserve historically significant documents.

Cronkite was the anchor of the CBS nightly news from 1962 to 1981. He died in July at the age of 92.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing
Murdoch sorry for implying Obama's not a 'real black president'
Reid sues exercise companies over eye injury
Lumber Liquidators to pay $10M in DOJ settlement