facebook
twitter
search
search

Russia accuses Georgia of provocations

Aug. 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM

MOSCOW, Aug. 4 (UPI) -- The Russian Foreign Ministry accused Georgia of "provocations" Tuesday and said Russian troops in the Georgian breakaway region of South Ossetia were on alert.

Andrei Nesterenko, a ministry spokesman, said the situation is being closely watched, the Novosti news agency reported.

"The situation is really worrisome, provocations from the Georgian side on the eve of the anniversary of the August events last year are continuing," he said in a posting on the ministry Web site.

Russia has recognized South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent countries, but no other nations have followed suit. The two regions have been effectively autonomous since Georgia gained independence after the breakup of the Soviet Union.

The South Ossetian communications ministry told the news agency Tuesday the village of Otrev was shelled from Georgia, although no injuries were reported. Georgia reported Monday that a village in its territory had been shelled from South Ossetia.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Joel Osteen heckled, 6 arrested during service at Houston megachurch
Ghost hunters discover woman's body at abandoned Mississippi hospital
Walmart sorry for making Islamic State cake after rejecting Confederate flag cake
Obama signs fast-track trade, worker assistance bills into law
Wildfire burns at least 24 homes, 4,000 acres in central Washington