Museum shooting suspect too ill for court

June 24, 2009 at 2:31 PM
| License Photo

WASHINGTON, June 24 (UPI) -- Federal prosecutors say James W. von Brunn is too ill to appear in court on charges he shot and killed a security guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Federal prosecutor Nicole Waid said Tuesday the 88-year-old white supremacist has been released from the hospital following treatment for gunshot wounds received in the June 10 shooting and could be healthy enough for court sometime next week, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.

Authorities allege von Brunn shot and killed museum security guard Stephen T. Johns at the tourist site before being hit in the face by gunfire from two other guards.

The suspect was hospitalized at George Washington University Hospital following the deadly shooting but was released last week.

The Post said von Brunn was scheduled for a hearing next Tuesday by U.S. Magistrate John M. Facciola.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
American Apparel files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Womb transplants begin in U.K. after Sweden's success
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists