Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab and two Lashkar-e-Toiba activists accused of helping in preparations for the deadly assault, Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin Mohammed, appeared before special judge M. L. Tahilyani on matters of legal representation as the trial in Mumbai began, Indo-Asian New Service reported.
The trial will be conducted in a court set up inside the Arthur Road Jail in south-central Mumbai. Special prosecutor Ujwal Nikam said Monday's proceedings marked the formal opening of the trial, but the actual presentation of the case would begin in about three weeks.
Last month, the Mumbai police filed charges in a document of more than 11,000 pages against Kasab and 37 others, including Ansari and Mohammed. The remaining 35 named in the document were listed as "wanted absconders," the news service said.
Charges include waging war against the nation, terrorist activities, kidnapping, entering the country illegally, attempt to murder, murders, and planning and abetting the Mumbai terror attacks.
Nine terrorists were killed by the security forces during the 60-hour siege at several locations in India's entertainment and financial hub. More than 170 people died.
Texas principal bans speaking Spanish, stirs controversy
Ron Burgundy interviews Peyton Manning on SportsCenter